Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Bent der hanger options

Here's a pic of the bent der hanger on the Ti Indy Fab cross rig. Not sure how it happened, but the end result is exactly the same from last year. So my options are: 1). Send it back to IF and have them repair it again 2). Leave it as is and make it a dedicated single speed 3). Dremel off the hanger and fabricate an aluminium der hanger. For now I'm going with number 2, but number 3 is my eventual goal. I plan on hitting up some friends for help on the der hanger design and fabrication....

8 comments:

Brent Butch Johnson said...

Internal Hub? Just a thought. I think Shimano makes ones that go to 11. METAL!

Jay said...

Yikes! What did it cost last time?

Matt Maxwell said...

Depending on how bent it is and how bad the threads are damaged you could straighten it and use one of these:
http://wheelsmfg.com/dropout-saver.html

I had some luck with one on my Cross Check before I destroyed it a second time. I've never tried it with Ti though.

Kevin D said...

After seeing this happen to your bike last year, Keith Clark had Davidson redesign his Ti bike with a replaceable hanger. He can share the design info if you are interested.

Malcolm said...

IF should fix it for free, with a solution that works this time :)

and when that doesn't happen, SS.

Tim Ek said...

I think you should contact IF and ask them how to resolve this situation permantly (i.e. replacable hanger?). What a bummer buddy. It all get worked out.

Cornbread said...

All great suggestions. I will contact Indy Fab to get their thoughts. I don't wanna void my warranty by hacking off the hanger myself.

mw said...

the stupid der should fail way before the frame...jeez...what a bummmmmmer.