Saturday, January 21, 2012

Yeah, it was cold.

Frozen bottles

Negative four windchill at take off. Barmitts, balaclava's and ski googles were necessities. Well, at least for me. The older I get, the more difficult it is for me to stay warm.

Small crew for the "early" ride

Rafal made the trip down from Omaha for the ride this morning! Was great riding with ya, homey. Gotta get those winter miles in for the madness of the gravel grinders! Trans Iowa, Almanzo, and Dirty Kanza!

Icy tailwind home

Cortland was about most of us could muster in today's frigid temps. Bruce is the only one to venture on to Adams. Animal! My baselayer was soaked by the time we got to the convenience store in Cortland. Normally my baselayer is dry as a bone, but not today. Weird. A damp baselayer isn't so bad when you're moving, but stopping with a wet baselayer is bad. Real bad. I froze. Even inside the convenience store I was struggling.

Ron adjusting the newspaper layer

I took a tip from Ron and Scott. Put a newspaper in front and back under my jacket. Worked like a charm. Not sure about the ride tomorrow. There's a chance of rain. Boo.

2 comments:

RD said...

Nice riding with you

BDLine.net Danni said...

"Yeah, it was cold." I'm sorry - that's just a "That's what he said" excuse. ;-)