Friday, January 14, 2011

Wilderness Park XC ski trails destroyed...

Beautiful and fast for the first half of the ski session

Some people...I know it takes all kinds in this world, but some people I just don't understand. Tonight on my after work XC ski session I had a run in with three very selfish guys. Before going into that let me say that the first half of the ski session was great. The XC ski tracks were nice and fast all the way from Old Cheney parking lot to the 14th Street entrance. I made relatively good time to 14th Street entrance. Temps were great too. It was ideal.

On my way back I spotted a guy coming at me on a quad on the Jamaica Trail heading east as I headed west. Two other guys were tearing it up on quads just off the trail in the corn field to the north. I stopped the quad rider on the Jamaica Trail and kindly informed him that he can't be on here with a motorized vehicle. He said he knew that, but he was looking for his dog. I asked him what kind of dog. He said a wiener dog with a smirk. Yeah, right. I asked him to get off the trail asap with his four wheeler and not to ride on it again. He agreed and sped off toward 14th Street entrance of the Jamaica Trail. His two buddies continued in the corn field toward the 14th Street entrance as well.

I was bummed, but not very upset for them riding on the Jamaica Trail. Yeah, it's illegal, but at least they weren't on the singletrack trails. So I continued on looking forward to more XC ski goodness all the way back to Old Cheney. As I was about to exit the Jamaica Trail and enter the single track trail two other skiers I crossed paths with earlier stopped me and informed me that the three guys on quads had just destroyed the trails. The trails were un-ski-able according to this guy and his spouse. They said it was hopeless trying to ski after the quads had gone through. He recommended that I stay on the Jamaica Trail back to Old Cheney. They also said the three guys about took them out when they came tearing through.

Alright, now I'm pissed off. After speaking with the couple for a bit I decided to continue on the singletrack trails to assess the damage. It wasn't pretty. Yeah, pretty much un-ski-able. See the images below.

Deep ruts with dirt churned up

All lines and tracks are gone

Really hard to find anywhere to ski in this

Give me a break...

Bridges didn't stop 'em

So I went through the entire hiker side back towards Old Cheney. On the way back I just crossed the bridge in the above pic when I heard the guys on quads. They were on the old rail road bridge that connects the biker and hiker sides. They were chillin' and laughin' and having a great time. I had already called the Sheriff a couple of times at this point trying to give them updates to catch these fools. So I walked up to them and asked if they had any luck finding the wiener dog. The guy that told my about the dog earlier just laughed. I called bullshit and things turned south fast. They knew they weren't allowed out there and they didn't give a shit. I told them about all the damage they had done and they still didn't care. Hours of work over the past week were wiped out in seconds. So when things started looking bad I wiped out the camera and started taking pics. Two of the guys immediately turned their backs and covered their faces. The other dude, red goatee guy, began to have words with me.

Say cheese

Red goatee guy thinks it's funny

Sheriff is on the way, guys.

If anyone can recognize these guys, call the Lincoln Police Department or the Lancaster County Sheriff. They need to learn it's not alright to destroy the park for their amusement.

12 comments:

Thew said...

Good work man. "Get her done."

MG said...

Way to go Cornbread. Those jackasses will get theirs soon. They've been tearing the park up for years and I suspect their time is growing short.

Thanks buddy. See you in the AM.

Cheers,
MG

ZDogg said...

Nothing says adventure like tearing up a hiking/ biking/ cross country trail within 5 minutes of city limits with 225cc all terrain vehicles:( This is what happens when Versus stopps showing the spring classics/ giro d'italia fills the time slots with hunting shows and bull riding. Get er' done

avabee said...

What douchebags. If they were really looking for a lost "weiner dog," did they really think a tiny dog would come up to a gigantic 4-wheeler? I doubt it...

Anonymous said...

I observed and reported these guys just south of Pioneers Blvd on Friday around 4:15 PM. Their tracks came from north of Pioneers. Tracks from last year were traced to a building in the nearby industrial park. I can't name the building because there's it's all heresay at this point but, I told LPD where to find them and where they were going to return. LPD dispatch didn't seem to care much. The trails are marked for hiking, biking and horses in the park. Nowhere is it marked for skiing, however.

Anonymous said...

Did you send the pictures to LPD/Sheriff? The pics are perfect for Crimestoppers!
www.lincolncrimestoppers.com

You might also copy Chief Casady at tcasady@lincoln.ne.gov. He might run it in his blog at http://lpd304.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have seen the damage the quads have done on
the Homestead Trail. I know where they live! I saw the tracks and the guy come out of the Pumpkin Patch Farm.
I snowshoe and bike the trails and the ruts were awful!
What can we do? Next time I see them I will use my cell phone to call the police. Right, like they will do anything!

Anonymous said...

Great work on the pictures and confronting the jerks. What trash! You can bet I'll do my part to spread the word and track these guys down.

Cornbread said...

If anyone knows where these guys live pass that info on to LPD. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Now this is the kind of thing that just doesnt need to be done those db's most likely were drunk then and wat the hell excuse was a damn weiner dog worth my father and I mountain bike this trail quite a bit and I know mountain bikes are tough and can get through this so it really doesn't effect me but it's just the fact that anyone who uses this trail needs to take action and keep it clean and these morons are abusing it so thst tics me off a bit

Gely said...

Thanks for calling out those jack offs!

Anonymous said...

Red Goatee guy busted! Park supervisor tracks him to his hide out on G st. I watched as he was handed his ticket. He didn't seem to happy, it being his wife's b-day and all...
But he did manage to trash the trails North of 14th st. South side should be good.