Tuesday, December 07, 2010

I'm thinking of a number...

That number is 12,000. My mileage goal for the year. After last week, I'm about 300 miles from reaching that goal.

Tracking miles is something I had never done until recently. My motivation was not bragging rights, but rather a system to prevent me from riding too much. A few years back just prior to the beginning of cross season I had some terrible fatigue, high resting heart rates and no power on the bike. It was very frustrating because I felt like I had made some good gains in fitness over the Summer, but I had no idea why I felt so crappy for such an extended period of time. A friend pointed out all the big rides and races I had recently participated in over the Summer prior to the onset of my funk. It finally dawned on me that I was doing too much. It took almost a month to feel "normal" again. I was overtrained.

So I started tracking all the miles I put in. All of them. Commuting, racing or just plain old riding along. It all adds up in my opinion.

The first year I kept track I was able to log right around 10,000. Last year was around 12. For no good reason I had a goal of 15 this year, but quickly realized I would be defeating the purpose of tracking the miles in the first place. I figured 12 seems to be a nice even number that is obtainable and won't wreck my other cycling endeavors for the rest of the year. So now I'm super excited to reach this milestone again this year. Barring any major catastrophes I should be able to get it done within the next two weeks. Then a new year begins.

9 comments:

mw said...

i used to keep better track. now it's more of a gut feeling. i think i've been close to 10k in a year, but i doubt i've surpassed that ever. i know i've hit 9800. i think my yearly average is now in the 7500-8500 range. again, just my gut.

in the years i kept track, i was always floored by the 1700 or so i got just commuting. my commute is much less than yours but that's alot of miles that i don't even really consider.

mw said...

oh yeah, and you ride too much. but you're also incredibly fast and consistant. wish i could ride your pace as easily as you do. i do worry when you talk about knee pain and whatnot. i've been lucky in that regard.

ButchieCantaloupe said...

Broga will keep good care of that knee and shoulder. Realization of you body is a good thing. Keep it up brodega.

Thanks for the shades. They're extra rad.

XO1 said...

Corey,

I am amazed at what you can do on a bike! Your mileage would be great for a road rider. But to ride that much on gravel and at the pace/effort you ride is worthy of all-star status. You are in a league all by yourself! Great job!!!

Bruce

Malcolm said...

I'm still a bit confused on the whole over training thing, I know that burn out, not enough rest, exhaustion, etc are no good, but I would generally think structure and more miles = stronger and faster... at least to some extent.

On a different note, I think remember reading that when Merckx was racing, he was training 20,000+ miles a year. :)

Either way Corey, you're amazing, I've enjoyed the past miles, and look forward to the future ones.

MrDaveyGie said...

Good points Cory. I lean towards too many, too much myself. With my age of 57 it is longer recovery needed. IF only my body would keep up with the desires of my mind.
Dave

Cornbread said...

Thanks everyone! I sure love riding bikes. I think not having a defined training regimen preserves that love. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to achieve this milestone again especially since a majority of those miles were with some really awesome people.

Charlie Farrow said...

Not to jinx you in any way, but...You are my pick for the top finish @ the Trans-Iowa...
Hugs,
Charlie

Cornbread said...

Hey Charlie! Yikes! That is jinxes! :) I just plan on riding my bike for as long as I can. Finishing is always the goal. I hope we'll be able to ride together. That would be rad!