Monday, February 22, 2010

This looks like fun

Image pilfered from CTR website

The Colorado Trail Race. 470 miles with 65,000 feet of climbing. Denver to Durango. 300 miles of singletrack. Ah yeah.

The Colorado Trail Race would be a great event to try prior to taking on the monsterous Tour Divide (which I'd like to try someday). I'd love to give the Colorado Trail Race a shot this year, but being a flat lander from Nebraska and originally a native Ohioan, I'd be completely out of my element. And that could be very dangerous. Sure, I've ridden in Colorado several times, but not for days at a time without access to outside support. This may be a bit over my head. I wouldn't know where to start as far as gear and would have no idea what I'd be getting myself into. Time to do some searching on the net.

The Colorado Trail Race starts the day after the Laramie Enduro. Ouch. That'd be a rough, but fun week. Maybe...

5 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

WWJMD - What Would Joe Meiser Do?? :)

paxtoncoyote said...

Start hanging out on bikepacking.net & you'll learn a ton of info for these types of events, it sounds like there is good access to a lot of small towns along the CO trail for re-stocking or bailout.

A friend of mine from CO & I have thought of going out & doing part of it though I'm no racer, it would be in tour mode for me, perhaps when I get my new frame set from MG built up, I've no doubt you could pull it off Cornbread with your track record.

David said...

hey I might be up for it. Give me a jingle on the phone phone

Thew said...

That would be epic, man, but I'm with you. Sag would be nice, or at the very least four figures of $$$ to burn on hotels and whatnot.

Yeah, I know how to rough it, eh?

mw said...

sounds like an amazing race