Saturday, January 23, 2010

The "We have no other option" ride

MMR road south of Lincoln

Well, the title of the post tells the tale of the riding situation in Lincoln right now. With the lack of sunshine (saw a glimmer of sun today for the first time in two weeks) and the incessant fog and 100% humidity coupled with a few days of modest rainfall and temperatures above freezing, the gravel roads around Lincoln, and probably Eastern Nebraska for that matter, are un-frickin'-rideable. I made a foolish attempt to hit some gravel North of town on Wednesday evening and got so bogged down in the soupy mess I had to get off and push up a few climbs. Not fun.

Wet gravel

So, without any other choice, a group headed out today for some road miles on cross bikes. The wind was brisk and the shoulder was wet and gritty. Lot's of pee gravel and crap on the shoulder which is great for drive trains! Fenders were a great idea, but still didn't keep you dry with all the melt from the snow banks.

Rural Hwy into Adams, Nebraska

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good road ride, but this time of year I really look forward to the gravel. The gravel roads offer so many different routes to get to a destination. The road is a different story. It doesn't seem as adventurous or as scenic.

Cheesy pose time!

Troy and I broke from the group and ventured to Cortland via Hwy 77, and then on past Adams and up to Bennett before heading back to town via Hwy 2.

Throwbacks for a limited time! No high fructose corn syrup, just good ole sugar!

Not again!

I ended up riding the SS cross bike today and spun my arss off keeping up with Troy cuz my geared cross bike is out of commission again due to a cracked crank. This is the second time in less than a year a FSA Energy drive train side crankarm has cracked on me. I noticed the crack last week while cleaning up after a ride. This crank is a brand new warranty crank after my first one cracked. This crank only lasted about 1,000 miles. The crack is in the same exact place on both sides of the crank where the crankarm meets the spider, just like the crack on my previous set. If you own a FSA Energy crank, take a close look at your crankset.

More gritty road miles for tomorrow! Probably head up to Valpo. Time is yet to be determined.

19 comments:

Malcolm said...

Hey Cornbread, also headed out for a ride today, went towards Denton and explored some gravel around there. Super sloppy and slow, but still lots of fun. I saw Jeff and Matt at Yia Yias last night and Jeff was supposed to keep me in the loop as to riding, but looks like he dropped the ball! :( I got to get on the phone tree list! Let me know if/when your going to be riding (not just tomorrow, but future rides). Cheers!

RD said...

Looks like gravel is back on the menu next weekend

Cornbread said...

Yo Malcolm! Go to hear you got out today. Gravel...yikes! Must have been a muddy mess, but I know all about the addiction.

Tomorrow were leaving 1510 D Street at 9 AM. Hope to see ya there.

Rafal, I really hope so, man. I'm jonesin'.

elisabeth said...

the 'cross tires came in handy on the muddy mess on the side of 77 today..

Malcolm said...

It was a muddy mess, but lots of fun, explored some new areas never been to, my road bike might not have liked it as much. Any idea how long you'll ride for? I need to get some work done...

If it doesn't happen tomorrow, hopefully soon.

Cornbread said...

Lis, so true. The mess is everywhere! I'd probably get muddy if I rode my trainer!

Malcolm, probably go out for 4 to 5 hours. Maybe a little less. Don't worry about that physics homework. It'll be there waiting for you when you get home.

paxtoncoyote said...

here's an option for you to consider, come WEST! we have prime gravel, no snow & GREAT riding. my son & I got into quite the adventure yesterday that ended up involving some unchartered singletrack, best day I've had on a bike in a long time. I'd be honored to host the Lincoln crew some weekend (though I know I could never keep up with your guys pace!)

Cornbread said...

That sounds like a great idea! Troy and I were considering heading West to meet up with Mike Marchand of Kearney for a gravel century. Maybe we can make a weekend of it.

MOD said...

Cornbread...one word...HOLLOWTECH!

mw said...

shimano for sure.

Cornbread said...

Yeah, I know...I should have never strayed from Shimano. Unfortunately, I've already ordered a SRAM Rival replacement. Hopefully they'll work fine.

BTW, that FSA crank is hollowtechish technology too. Just not Hollowtech.

jb* said...

Malcolm, I didn't forget about you buddy, just had a communication breakdown.

NNs said...

I prefer tube technology. you break more cranks than anybody ive heard of. well, maybe not moser.

mw said...

i've got 5 cranks under my belt corey. so start breaking away.

mw said...

the communication breakdown was matt got too drunk and i thought i had a mind-meld with jb...but there was no mind-meld.

Cornbread said...

I'm sure Bill Moser has us both beat by a dozen crank arms. I must admit, I'm surprised to hear that you've (Wills) have broken five cranks. Technically, I've only broken one and cracked two. Breaking cranks sux. I was pretty messed up for a while after a busted crank a few years ago.

mw said...

i don't think i've ever really crashed as a result. once, in minneapplepuss i broke a crank called for a rescue and returned to the ride, S-house was there.

mw said...

mosers broken cooks cranks! old school ones. chapman has broken old school steel bullseye cranks. multiple times.

c_c_rider said...

cornbread is the crank destroya!

back in the day some campy super record cranks would crack in the same spot.