Thursday, December 17, 2009

Looking forward to 2010 - Ouachita Challenge

Rocks, rocks and more rocks

Well, it didn't take long for the Ouachita Challenge to fill up. Registration opened on December 14th and closed shortly after opening. All 250 spots for the Tour on Saturday and race on Sunday are spoken for. If you didn't sign up in the morning, you missed the boat.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Endurance MTB events have been getting much more popular in the recent years and as a result, much more difficult to get into! Maybe it's the Lance effect (via the Leadville 100) all over again. Like when Lance won his first Tour. I remember road bikes were flyin' out the door at the shop.

Speaking of Leadville, I'm sure getting into Leadville this year will be a challenge in itself. I've decided to throw my hat into the ring again for 2010. I'm also looking forward to several other regional MTB races. Definitely need to be thinking ahead if you wanna get into these events.

Back to Ouachita....unfortunately, the 80 miler is gone for 2010. So I guess only 60 miles will hafta do. Bummer.

2010 will be my third crack at Ouachita. Historically I've had a rough time down there in Arkansas. 2007 was the year of the massive bonk coupled with crippling cramps. Last year I endo'd into a rocky stream and banged up my right knee around mile 30ish of 80. That was a long day.

It took 6 weeks for the swelling to go down

Hopefully 2010 will go a bit smoother. It'd be great not to do something stupid like get hurt.

2007 - Hey, is that Sydney?

Thanks to my good buddy CVO for hooking me up with a entry for Ouachita. I'm looking forward to a great weekend down in Arkansas!

6 comments:

sydney said...

Indeed. Believe it or not. I cannot believe I didn't die during that race. Big thx to CVO for showing me the ropes that morning.

Sonya said...

Yeah!! Ouachita is super fun, and they are taking out a road section and adding MORE SINGLETRACK! Yes!

Coach said...

Pretty darn cool down there.

Shawn said...

I'm in this year, and I am very excited

Cornbread said...

Ah yeah! Ouachita should be a blast.

Sydney, have you thought about getting back on a mountain bike?

Sonya, you're right, more singletrack is definitely a good thing. The trails there are top notch.

Coach, wish you were coming along. Maybe next year.

Shawn, gonna be great to have you along this year. You'll love it down there.

jamesb said...

CB-- I am definitely interested in endurance MTB this year. I plan to hit as much of the local stuff as possible and learn more about it. I have a busy home life, so it is hard to say exactly which events I can make, but even if it means 4 a.m. rides once in a while...I'm going for it! I hope to spend some winter gravel time this year debriefing your past experiences and preparing for 2010... Any other registrations I should be watching for? I threw in for Leadville already.