Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Drop bar mountain bike lovin'


Went through Wilderness on the way home from work today on the Fargo. Glad I had my light with me cuz it got dark before I knew it. Keeping the light charged is gonna be a daily ritual from here on out until Spring next year.

Tonight was my first off road ride with the Fargo. I've taken it on plenty of gravel and crushed limestone, but no dirt. Just never had the opportunity. Well, after hitting the dirt I gotta admit, drop bar mountain bikes on flat singletrack such as Wilderness Park are quite amazing. It felt much more natural than a traditional flat bar and the fat tires chewed everything up. I pretty much felt invincible on that thing. To be fair, my perspective is probably a bit skewed right now since I ride cross bikes all the time. Anything with a fatter tire will feel better on singletrack. But it wasn't just the tires. There's something else that I can't quite put my finger on. I will say the bike fit really well and is obviously well designed. Kudos to Salsa.

Maybe this drop bar mountain bike thing will be the next new old school craze. Travis Brown rocked a drop bar on his 26 inch mountain bike for Leadville last year and did really well. He's convinced it's the way to go for a race like Leadville.

Wills you were right. Drop bar mountain bikes are wicked.

8 comments:

mw said...

take it everywhere, it's fun.
i think technical riding is fun as well. i can't say i prefer it over a flat bar, but it makes it interesting and even in technical offroad stuff you still use the multiple hand positions. whee.

scott showen said...

Drop bar McLovin'

dale said...

I tried a wtb dropbar and couldn't get the drops high enough or far enough back to work for me offroad. The hood position wasn't comfortable either.

Ran across the Rawland Cycles "Antler" and "Elgokse" stem/bar combo on 29inches. Comfortable dirt-drop-like position on mtb geometry. This looks promising. 70cm is really wide for offroad, especially with knuckles outside of that.

Some more antler pics.

Cornbread said...

Unfortunately most mountain bikes are designed for drop bars. Dale, sounds like that's the case with your bike. You need a really tall headtube or long steerer tube to comfortably run a drop bar. Maybe you could have a different fork with a very long steerer tube and a bunch of headset spacers for your drop bar set up.

The Antler bar looks cool. I wonder how it rides.

Anonymous said...

from nome,ak

one day on the tundra, the next day on ragbrai. and of course on the glga ride . great bike and i will take it anywhere, i have it with me this winter in nome, and the fargo works in the snow.
don r.

Travis said...

I agree with you and T.Brown: drops and fat tires are a good thing.

Cornbread said...

Nome! Wow! How did you get up there Don? You should send me some pics.

Travis, drop bars on mountain bikes are really catching on. They sure feel good to me.

Anonymous said...

wheat from N. Cal.
I am running a Orbea 29er with drop bars. 46 c Ritchey bars with a Dura ace kit. FSA cranks, ( compact) and little chicken brakes. Avid Mech. MAvic wheels. Love the ride. Kinda sketchy when steep and rocky. But for all purpose. Climbing... It is awsome and comfy. Travis is alittle of the back as far as ?
Tomac in the 90. Charlie cunningham in the mid 80's.