Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Racing the storm

Troy, Jeff and I went out last night to try and recon a bit of the GLGA course, but were thwarted again by bad weather. Troy and I noticed the clouds beginning to build up and darken to the South as we rolled through Lincoln. A quick call to Matt confirmed our suspicion (thanks again Matt!). A storm was building near Cortland and was heading due East. As Jeff joined us at the beginning of the Homestead trail we began to discuss our options. Go as far as we can South and then turn East. We got as far as Wagon Train Road before the rain started. Jeff pulled out his phone to check the radar. Yep, not good. We boogied East on Wagon Train and got wet for 10 to 12 miles while being treated to a thunder and lightening show. Eventually we out ran the storm. Screw you storm.

7 comments:

t-nuts said...

midweek gravel, cures what ails you.

thanks for the ride guys!

TK

CJ said...

Driving home from the Big O last night I got a great light show and plenty of rain. Glad you made it home fine!!

Scott said...

The roadies on the Weds Night World's ride played the same game on pavement; while the wisest bailed out early, there was a general storm chase east to Bennett before heading north & out of the wet.

Cornbread said...

I don't mind riding in the rain, but when the lightening starts, I tend to get a bit jumpy. That storm would have been much more enjoyable to watch from a porch with a beer.

Troy and I were wondering if the WNW crew were running from the storm too.

jxw said...

Shortened WNW for me, after barely avoiding the first road crash I've seen this year, then making an attempt to outrun rain to the east, headed back north,then west ,south, then west again, found myself back in the sunshine for 15 more miles. Hope the rest outran it. There were stormchasers watching it at 40th & Saltillo.

Cornbread said...

Road crash!?! Bad news. Anyone get hurt?

Sounds like you found the sweet spot around that storm, Jim.

jxw said...

A little road rash I think. It was a Nascar slow motion slide for the ditch out of the 2nd or 3rd row. I caught the guys bars w/ my right foot flipping the bike back out behind me. I was surprised to get out of the rain so quickly, and to find dry pavement again. Didn't get all the intensity I wanted, but probably needed the rest anyway.