Thursday, June 11, 2009

White is the new black

My new Bontrager wheelset came in recently. The previous set (2008 Race X lite) were warrantied due to a cracking islet issue. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of machine built wheels, but have never been disappointed with a Bontrager wheelset. I've owned several pairs of Bonty mountain bike wheels and this was the first time I've encountered a problem. Anyways, Trek warrantied the wheels in less than a week. I was stoked to see the new Race X Lite wheels when I opened the box. White spokes! No way Jose! The IF Deluxe was getting another upgrade!

The first upgrade this year was a new fork. The first generation Reba was still working, but had run it's course. It was time for a new fork. So when I started looking around at my options I was a bit bummed when I realized that the Fox fork only came in white. My frame was designed around the first generation Rock Shox Reba (38 mm offset I think), so I had to go with the Fox with the smaller offset (42 mm). The new Rock Shox Reba were boasting a crazy offset of around 48 mm or somewhere near there. So I reluctantly ordered the Fox and even considered painting the it black once it was installed. Being lazy and all, I left it. Now the new wheels match the fork. Hooray for laziness!

Since the new wheels were center lock and my old wheels were 6 bolt, I had to order new rotors. XTR of course! Why? Why not. Unfortunately, once installed, the rotor spider would smack the brake pad on my Avid BB7's. So that took some finagling to fix. Has anyone else had that problem? I suppose Shimano's answer would be to order some XTR calipers and levers.

Seems like white is getting to be a very popular color for bicycles and accessories. I love the simplicity. Black is soooo early 21st Century. Hmmm....maybe it's time for some white cages and grips or maybe a white Silverado saddle. Nah, I'm cheap and lazy.

5 comments:

Harp said...

I like the way white bikes look. You can't go wrong with the black/white combo.

JT said...

Very nice new bonty wheels.

Anonymous said...

check out horsetrailriders.com. u can contact them about keeping trails smooth so you wont have to worry about needing your fork

Blogstyle said...

I ran into that same problem as well.
For the 970 centerlock rotors (maybe even the generation before) the beefed up the aluminum spider compared to the first XTR centlock rotors. I suppose it makes them less susceptible to warping...
It wouldn't matter w/ a brake caliper where the pads drop in from the top and don't have those tabs like the Avids and certain others do. A little bit of grinding on the tab of the inboard pad and I was off like your mom's prom dress.

Cornbread said...

Sounds like it's time to bust out the Dremel.