Monday, May 04, 2009

TI V5

First and foremost, my hats off to all the folks who toed the line to start TI V5 and a big thanks to Guitar Ted, David Pals, Ken Yokanovich, Cale Wenthur, and the rest of the volunteers who made the event possible. Also a huge thanks to Oly for volunteering to be the Nebraska support crew. Couldn't have done it without ya.

Mad props and congrats to Lincoln crew members Matt Wills and Matt Gersib for pushing through the night to finish! Second finish for Matt Wills (TI V3 finisher) and this is the first for Matt Gersib. Well done fellas! We're all super stoked and very proud. Pushing through the night takes a lot of guts.

While the Matt's were pushing on through the night for the finish, the rest of the Nebraska contingent was snoozing at the Best Western in Williamsburg after pulling the plug for various orthopedic reasons. Ultra endurance events such as Trans Iowa can aggravate pre-existing injuries or cause orthopedic problems to resurface again. That was the case for Skip, Bonsall, Eric and myself. Skip got shut down by an Achilles tendon issue, Bonsall had his IT band cut his event short, Eric had back problems for most of the day that shut him down, and I had my right knee flare up and cheat me of the last 96 glorious miles. It seems we were all feeling fine and had the energy to push on to the finish, but our bodies weren't cooperating. It's a very hard decision to make at the time, but in hindsight we made the right call. Going out for a century with a bad Achilles, IT band, knee or back is just plain stupid. Factor in the already ridden double century plus change and the darkness, then the decision becomes much easier to understand.

I can't say enough about the folks who raced and helped out with the event. Lots of smiles and encouragement from volunteers and competitors alike. And that's what the event is all about.

During the event on several occasions, I decided that this was going to be my last TI. Less than 24 hours after the event, I've changed my mind. I'll give it a go again next year.

13 comments:

mw said...

that's the spirit!...
TI is an amazing challenge and it's massiveness slaps you in the face all along the way. thanks for the positive energy you provide me and your friends. you're a good one for sure.

...now i'm going to rob some of you pics...

Cornbread said...

Dude, you're an inspiration for you consistency and determination. I wish I had your willpower! Or should I say Wills-power! Ha!

BTW, take as many pics as you like. That's why I take 'em!

shockstar said...

sorry things didn't work out for you this year but hopefully i'll see you at the start again next year. huge thanks to your whole crew. whether it was riding with me or feeding me...you guys have an awesome group of people and riders.

MG said...

Thanks Cornbread, and thanks to MW and Ben "shockstar" Shockey for the awesome memories. We made that one fun, 'eh?!!

And Ben, now that you're a TransIowa stud-hero (Ben was riding a not only a singlespeed, but a fixxie) Vassago's gotta' come out with that "Shocker" signature frame!! YEAH!!!

It was a bummer to have injuries pull the plug on the efforts of so many of our crew, but that's why it was so awesome to have Oly out there. Thanks for being our support crew Oliver!! We really appreciated everything you did for us this past weekend.

Thanks again for the kind words and much respect and love for all.

Cheers,
MG

shockstar said...

i totally forgot about the shocker frame conversation...i'll see what i can do :)

Guitar Ted said...

Cornbread: Saying it would be your last, and then deciding you'd come back? That sounds like the conversations I have in my head about putting this thing on every year, but ya know we're doing a T.I.V6, so I made it over my road blocks again!

Thanks to you and your crew, Trans Iowa is a much better event. I can't imagine not having the Lincoln crew there for a T.I. It's almost a necessity now!

Take care of that knee and we'll see ya again soon.

NaugaBike said...

Sorry you had to pull up short. Good luck next year.

Will I see you at Platte River this Saturday?

cvo said...

CONGRATS GUYS

big thumbs up to everyone on that trip, WOW.

you guys are truelly inspiring.

cornbread, sorry about your knee, man, take some time and get healthy.

so we can do some rides this summer, see ya in Aug.

jb* said...

i remember having the "not next year" conversation with you at 2am. funny how fast that changes, as of yesterday i was hoping there would be a v6.

ben, very impressive work on that fixie! it was great to ride with you all day, just wish i could have been there for the last 96.

EB said...

Next Year...

jim craig said...

Nice job guys!

PaddyH said...

see ya next year

Cornbread said...

I'm already lookin' forward to next year!