Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No Dakota Five-O

Around this time of year, I inevitably get hurt. Three years ago I had a blood clot in my leg that kept me off the bike two months, two years ago I was still recovering from a broken hand and the two subsequent surgeries, and last year a non-drive train side crank arm busted and sent me to the concrete.

A couple of weeks ago I did something to my knee. Not sure what I did, but it swelled up and has been buggin' me since. So I guess it's time to take it easy. Bummed to miss the Dakota Five-O, but it's probably prudent to sit it out and heal up.

Bailing on races has been the norm this year. I've only raced twice, but in all honesty, I really don't care. Racing is not what defines someone as a true cyclist. Getting out and riding your bike while promoting the sport and wellness makes someone a legit cyclist in my opinion. Besides, I've saved a lot of cash this year by not traveling and racing. Maybe next year I'll get back in the swing of things. There's been some rumors that the Cycle Works crew may take another crack at Leadville next year. Sign me up!

Good luck to the Nebraskans that are heading up to Spearfish for the Dakota Five-O ! I look forward to hearing some stories.

2 comments:

PaddyH said...

bummer on the knee man,
heal up...
beer mends things...

MG said...

sorry to hear the knee's gonna' keep you out of the five-0, brother. you've got the right attitude about it though. you don't need another race, and it's never worth going into it with something as potentially serious as a knee problem nagging in the back of your mind. you totally made the right call -- 100 percent.

i'm actually heading over to boone, iowa and the 24 hours of seven oaks for an assault on the solo 24 class over there. we'll see how it works out. laura is going over with me do be my support crew (she rocks).

have yourself a great weekend. rest that knee and i'll look forward to riding with you soon.

cheers,
mg