Friday, July 18, 2008

No Laramie this year

Really bummed about this, but made the call last weekend. I'm not going to the Laramie Enduro. With the price of gas up over 4 bucks a gallon, driving solo to the race is prohibitively expensive. Then there's the price of a motel room....yeah, I know....I could camp, but I never sleep well when I camp prior to a race. Food, NORBA License, and other miscellaneous expenses would have pushed this race to well over 400 bucks. That's a bit steep when I'm not bringing home any moola. If I got paid to race, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but I'm not a professional racer and have no delusions of granduer. I just enjoy riding my bike with cool people for long rides. Going fast is fun sometimes too.

I don't know how some folks out there can afford to race every weekend. Must have lots of disposable income. I've only managed to make it to two races this year. One was free! and the other was less than 70 bucks. I sure like free races.

Speaking of free races, the Pirate Cycling League is kickin' around the idea of hosting a gravel race this Fall. The race will begin and end in Lincoln and travel to exotic places surrounding Lincoln such as Wilber (the Czech Capital of Nebraska!), Malcolm, Valiprasio, Ceresco, Eagle and who knows where else. More details to come on the PCL blog.

9 comments:

Ben said...

Don't blame you at all. With the price of gas, we pretty much question any trip anywhere. Heck, next week I'm going up to Omaha for work and instead of using "my" car and mileage, I'm just going to exercise the option to rent a car. It's easier that way, and I don't have to front the cost of a tank of gas.

PCL sounds interesting. If I keep gettin' in shape, I might have to join. Grassroots racin' in small town Nebraska, gotta love it.

Paul said...

Do you know if your registration can be given to someone else? I may be interested?

Paul

Cornbread said...

Ben, I'd be happy to have ya along for the ride. Still working out the details.

Paul, sorry man, but Rich Vincent has already given my spot to someone on the waiting list. Contact him to get on the list. There may be some more dropouts this week. Good luck!

sda said...

well i was gonna throw out the fact that you could crash in ft. collins at my place for free .... but then read that you gave up your reg. already. damn dude. won't be the same without you ...

Cornbread said...

Yeah, it's a bummer, but I'll be back next year. Thanks for the offer for a place to crash. Maybe next year I'll leave a bit early and take you up on the offer.

Good luck! Lookin' forward to seeing your name up on the podium again for SS.

sda said...

umm yeah ... we'll see about that podium thing.

Oscar said...

Hey. Meant to catch you at the CSG race this weekend and just missed. I was riding the blue Salsa SS. I'm heading to Laramie for my first try. Any free advice? I have no expectations...just finish and have fun.
Best,
Robb

Paul said...

No problem! Thanks anyway!

Cornbread said...

Hey Robb. The best advice I can give ya is ride your own pace. Most folks doing that race are from CO or WY. They're acclimated to the higher altitude. We're not. The race is anywhere from 7500 to almost 10000 feet. Try to keep the super hard efforts to a minimum. Too many hard efforts and you'll find yourself miserable the rest of the race.

The last big climb (Headquarters) is a biatch, but the descent on the other side is worth it.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down. I'm lookin' forward to hearing some race reports.