Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ten dollar city ordinance lesson

So I got a parking ticket a couple of weeks ago. It really didn't make sense to me because I was parked in my driveway. The ticket clearly indicated that the infraction was parking in the right of way. Huh?

After a lot of head scratching and a very long string of expletives, I called the LincolnPD and was informed that any land between the sidewalk and the street technically belongs to the city. Since the sidewalk runs right next to the house, 3/4 of the driveway belongs to the city. Unfortunately, the Disco can't fit in the 6 foot strip of driveway available that technically belongs to the residents of D street (and no, it won't fit in the garage because it's too tall).

So I am forced to park in the street, where I have to adhere to parking bans in the winter for snow removal (and risk potentially getting ticketed again) and subject my vehicle to all kinds of potential abuse. I have lived here for 5 years and the residents have been parking there for at least that long with no problems.

I was a bit miffed and politely asked the LPD dispatcher if someone from the city would be stopping by on a regular basis to rake, mow, seed and remove snow from the yard and driveway, since "the land technically belongs to the city". She informed me that there is a city ordinance that requires residents to maintain the property that the city technically owns.

Wow. Geez, thanks. But actually, the way it works in this neighborhood as Deena Winters elegantly described in the Lincoln Journal Star series, "The Core", you're supposed to pay me when you fuck me, not vice versa.





6 comments:

ButchieCantaloupe said...

Contest it. It will be worth your time to take it to court and plan out a case for yourself. It would be different if you were blocking the sidewalk or blocking a right of way, but from the sounds of it you are parking in your driveway and the ticket is abusing a ordinance/law or whatever just to generate revenue.

It's b.s. and you should fight it.

cvo said...

I agree with ob1 contest it. take some pics and then take pics of other driveways like that.

it's total bullshit.

T-bone said...

Man, that's messed up!

Cornbread said...

Too late. I already paid it. Waited until the last day before my truck could be impounded. Those bastards.

scott showen said...

so thats what you get for riding you bike to work...

they should worry more about the crack dealers and prostitutes in the neighborhood.

Cornbread said...

Exactly!