Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday



Six rolled out of D street around 8:25 for another gravel ride. Very humid morning with a biting wind out of the Southwest.

"Shit, train."




The train allowed us to link up with Matt, Troy and Craig.

And then there were nine.



A few peeps headed for home after 20 to 25 miles Southwest of town. Five ventured on with the destination of Cortland. Came across a few dirt roads that I've never ridden. Most were dry, but one was a bit muddy. Hike a biked for a bit.



West Apple Road provided an opportunity to brush up on the beer bottle and can slalom skills. Busch and Busch light were the majority, of course.



Must have been a hell of a party the night before. Over a dozen cans and bottles on the road. Most of the cans were knocked over, but a majority of the bottles were still upright.

I guess they had to prove to the world that they could drink alcohol. Wow, congratulations.



Passed a young guy (probably a teenager) walking towards us on West Apple with a guilty look in his eyes carrying some gas station vittles.

The party must have been nearby.



Cortland refuel. Cokes, Salted Nut Rolls, Reeves Peanut Butter Cups, and Fritos. Everyone has their favorite.



Andy made it out today after missing yesterday morning. Good to see you out this morning, Andy.



The skies were cloud-filled most of the ride, but blue skies began to peak out on our ride back to Lincoln. The temperature slowly began to rise too.



Typical Southeastern Nebraska gravel. Nothing like the gravel you'll find in the Flint Hills of Kansas.



Looks like the Homestead trail is good to go. May still be soft in spots, but the snow and ice should be gone with two consecutive 50 degree days. Now the next step is getting all the goatheads off the trail. It's a guaranteed flat from Princeton to Cortland.



That's not something you see everyday.

Wills: "It's gotta be great for the road."



Yep. Fantastic.

Note to self: Don't ride down the middle of the lane on South 14th. It's gonna chatter ya.

4 comments:

Endurosnob said...

I'm not sure how Jeff and I missed you guys. We saw that beast on the road too and had a similar conversation. Weird.

CJ said...

Road today myself. I did some gravel east of town and a bit of the Mopac East. I ended up flating both tires with goatheads. Not sure where I picked them up, but I had to walk home from the downtown Mill(I think I must have got them in the dirty section of the Mopac down by 27th). I tried to patch one of the tubes, but gave up at 6 patches. Guess I will start carrying 2 tubes with me on rides.

Nice pics

Peace out

Thew said...

We were just talking about the Homestead last night -- glad I saw your post before we even thought about doing it.

On Saturday I ordered a Cross-Check from MWC. I had wanted to get one for awhile now, and I can't wait to tear shit up.

My proximity to NN's, Tony et. al. is obviously how I got into cycling, but blogs like yours get some of the credit too as they remind me how great it is on so many levels.

So, uh, thanks. Maybe it'll even give me a second reason to update that shitty blog of mine (the first reason being that NN's mom said she missed reading my asinine posts. Pretty lousy reason, I know).

Cornbread said...

I miss your posts too, Thew. They made me laugh.

Glad to hear you're getting a new bike. Nothing makes you wanna ride like a new bike. Plus Lincoln is such an awesome town for cyclists. Let me know if you need any help or advice regarding anything cycling. I'd be happy to help.

FYI, the thorns (goatheads) on the Homestead trail are primarily South of Princeton which is about 12 to 15 miles South of Lincoln. The rest of the trail is pretty good as far as thorns. But it may be soft yet with all the snow we had this winter.