Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Well, I thought I heard something crack...



While screaming down a rocky jeep road at the Dakota Five-O in August I heard a very loud crack resonate from my bike. The descent was a double track access road that had a lot of ruts and rocks. Eventually I cased one. At the time I thought maybe a stone flew up and hit my frame, but deep down I knew what had really happened. I cracked another Ti frame.



The previous frame cracked at the top tube seat tube junction. This crack is located on the non-drive side seat stay/drop out weld. It's much easier to see the crack on film than with the naked eye. Upon close examination, there appears to be three small holes interconnected by a large crack. The crack runs through the weld and wraps around the tube to extend beyond the weld.



This frame is only a year old (previous frame lasted two years). It endured two 6 hour races at Landahl (Spoke Pony Showdown and Rapture in Misery), the Ouachita Challenge, the Laramie Enduro, the Leadville 100, and the Dakota Five-O.

So, it has been raced in very rough and rocky conditions. That doesn't excuse the crack, but helps provide an understanding of how much stress it was put through. My height probably creates more stress on the weld due to the length of the tubes. Plus I weigh close to 200 pounds. The frame weighs only 3.5 pounds. That's a light bike for a super huge 29er frame.

I'm not posting this to bash IF. No way. I love those guys and gals. I only want to inform other riders of a potential problem. This crack could have failed at any time and caused some serious harm.

8 comments:

MOD said...

It was probably all that extra mileage you put in during the 5-O;)

Seriously though, bummer. I used to go through a frame about once every four or five months when I was riding Manitou's and Kliens. Us tall boys have some long ass tubes and quite a bit a torque. Guess that's why I've pretty much given up on riding lightwieght shit. My Ferrous is a 27 lb. SS, but it's the most solid ride I've have in a long time. Granted I don't really have anything light on it.

Good news is a free new frame right?

scott showen said...

maybe you need to lose some weight...


just kiddin.

hopefully they will bust out another frame like they did last time.

Beerorkid said...

the punisher.

sydney_b said...

Damn, you're hard on equipment. Every time you bust up part of your bike, I'm a little wary of mine for a week or two.

len said...

dang, i would have never guessed you were close to 200lbs.

that's one of the reasons I like to ride somewhat inexpensive stuff. less tears shed when I break it.

was thinking about getting a custom cross frame with a xmas bonus but talked myself out of it. mass production, tiawanese geared road bike instead. gears are nice.

cvo said...

loose some weight fat ass, sorry to hear about your crack,

but i'm glad you found it, it's been bummin you out for a while.

c_c_rider said...

did you ever get your ritchey cranks warrantied? looks like they are doing a recall.

Cornbread said...

Wow, thanks for the link Conrad. Zach gave me a call about this too. That is the exact crank arm that broke on me. Hmmm....well, I can testify when the crank arm fails, it does result in injury.

No news yet from IF.