Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dakota Five-O, here I come! Maybe...

So I played for the company softball team last Friday night. What an experience.

The team was in a pinch being short on players, so since I was technically on the roster, I had to play. When I signed up for the team at the beginning of the year I had no idea they played on Friday evenings. Once I found out I politely told them that I race on most weekends and I'd prefer to be a sub. Worked like a charm until the playoffs started. Lot's of guys on the team couldn't make the games, so I was beckoned.

I hadn't played for over two years. That was very apparent. I struck out in my first at bat (yes, it's slow pitch softball), went 0 for 4 for the game, and made two errors in the field. To my credit, I was at shortstop (don't know why they put me there) and made several decent plays and one great catch running in the outfield. Very humiliating, but also a lot of fun.

The real shitty part about the whole game were the injuries. I probably broke a finger and ended up with a nasty wound on my left leg after sliding into third (was gunned down by a woman in centerfield going to third ----thanks third base coach). The broken finger prevented me from racing at Swanson. Bummer. The leg wound wasn't anything that I haven't had a dozen times before. Looked like typical road rash. When I got home I cleaned and dressed it. The next day I let it air dry and a nice scab formed. Two days later the wound began to hurt, bad. Real bad. My leg began to swell and turned a little darker than the other leg. Could hardly walk on it. Ah shit. Infection.

When I went to work on Monday, a couple of the nurses that I work with looked at it and sent me straight over to one of the surgeons. He looked at it and said, "Yep, that's a good ole infection. You need to debride that and start oral antibiotics. "

Fuckin' great. There's nothing I love more in this world than debriding an infected wound. Especially a large infected wound. I couldn't do it, so one of my colleagues gladly helped me out.

Now the leg is slowly getting better. I'm still hobbling around and wonder if I should even think about racing this weekend.



Mmmmm...cheese!



Lookin' better!

16 comments:

mw said...

i had a bike accident once, and some friends took me to the hospital. i had a nice puncture wound from my big chainring. it needed cleaned out. the doc asked my friends to leave the room. he said they wouldn't want to watch the cleaning of the wound. good 10minute iodine scrub. yeah!

bryan said...

dude, why the HELL did you slide into third in slow-pitch?

Endurosnob said...

I will now have to work the term "debriding" into casual conversation.

Next time, pull the move where you run into the path of the throw and let it hit you in the back. No sliding. I don't know Bryan, but he summed it up pretty well.

NNs said...

that looks like cancer

Cornbread said...

Why did I slide? I'm still tryin' to figure that out.

scott showen said...

you struck out 4 times in slow pitch? you must be gay.



you will be fine for the race sunday, lets go...

cvo said...

yeah, don't pussy out,

but at the same time, you don't wana get into a race and have me beat you...

jake rhymes with cake said...

i just puked a little in my mouth. (o_0)

naugabike said...

I was wondering what happened to you - missed seeing you at Swanson, and no blog posts in some time.

Hope you get on the mend quickly.

Have a good trip if you go to SD.

bryan said...

go head-first next time!

VeloCC said...

That's a picture to print out and put on the fridge....good for dieting...hmph!

Hope you are healing up fast!!!

VeloCC said...

After looking up the word "debride", I am with Snob.

It's a good one to throw out in a conversation...what "the bride", a "deep ride",...??
God, why is English so freaking weird????

Cornbread said...

Tom, I'm still kickin'. Just been busy with work and stuff. Hope to get back to more THOR work soon.

Bryan, head first next time? Maybe. Don't women dig scars?

Christine, I wouldn't recommend putting one of those pics on your frig. You may never want to eat cheese again.

Yes, I'm gonna race. Fuck it.

Beerorkid said...

ewwwwwwwwww

you one tough dewd

sydney_b said...

Yuck. Who knew softball was so dangerous? I'll be staying on two wheels. Again, eww.

monkeygirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.