Friday, June 29, 2007

Leadville Recon Wildlife #2 - Marmot?



This fella was on the top of Columbine climb (about 12,200 feet). I was rollin' towards him on the trail and he stopped, laid down on his stomach and stared me down. The fella didn't move and I got within ten feet and stopped. I rang my bell to try to scare him off the trail, but remained vigilant. I didn't want to get too close, but I also wanted to keep moving (stopping at that elevation is a bad idea). So I rolled on and when I was within five feet the little fella did a 180 and began to guide me down the trail. Decided to get video as he booked down the trail. Looked like a beaver. Must have been a Marmot (according to Butch).

3 comments:

Endurosnob said...

Very cool. Welcome back.

Cornbread said...

Calling you now.

MG said...

yep... looks like a marmot to me too.