Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Summer Commuting Challenge



Who: CVO, Skip, Showen, RockD, Steve, Wills, Butch, Bonsall and myself (maybe Jesse)

What: Commute to work or owe your challengers a 12 oz. beverage (Old Style, High Life or Budweiser, Guinness, or Busch)

When: Memorial Day to Labor Day 2007

Why: Bikes are fun and cars suck

Anyone else interested? If so, let me know. May need to limit how many join. If I actually miss a day I don't wanna buy a freakin' case of beer for the other 24 participants.

Official rules:

1. You must ride a bicycle to your primary occupation or forfeit a 12 oz. beverage of your opponents' choice on Friday of each week.

2.
The 12 oz. beverage may be either Old Style, High Life, Budweiser, Busch or Guinness. You can choose to buy cans and give them to your opponents or buy downtown.
Beer payment can be either off sale cans/bottles or beer boughten at any establishment in Lincoln, but I encourage Yia Yia's, Oso, Bricktop or O'Rourkes.

3. Kids and injuries are the only excusable reasons to drive to work. Limit 5 free passes for the duration of the event.

4. This is the honor system. Big brother is watching.

NEW RULE ADDED!

5. If you fail to ride to work you must submit a pic of your pathetic self driving to work to coreycycle @ hotmail.com The pic must clearly show the utter disgust on your face for helping kill the planet. Please be careful while taking pic. Cornbreadblog.blogspot.com is not responsible for accidents/injuries/smooshed squirrels/or legal expenses for mishaps while taking pics.


25 comments:

scott showen said...

i am in.... how do we all keep track ?

Cornbread said...

Honor system. If you don't ride to work, send us an email. We'll hit ya up for a beer.

3p0 said...

I say limmit it to 24.. that way if you don't ride it's 15-16 bucks...

I'd love to see 24 take up the challenge, but I doubt that many readers out there have that deditaction..

wha..

is that a challenge...

mw said...

that's easy. i've done it for more than 15years. well sure i've cheated but i ridding 99percent of the time, or more and with kids it's been with the burley for me.

MOD said...

Have at it boys, I'll save you the case. We've got the Omaha Commuter Challenge going on up here.

rockd said...

I'm in, this will be fun!

LoupGarou said...

I would love to participate, however, since I commute to Omaha from Lincoln every day something tells me I would be buying enough drinks to feed a small nation. Good luck though and I hope you get more takers.

Beerorkid said...

this means I would have to ride in rain, I'm in. Nut feel free to excuse me if too many folk join up. My commute is too short to be fair.

3p0 said...

I'm purdy sure Jesse is in to boot,,, I'll bet he sends you an e-mail...

monkeygirl said...

interesting, very interesting.

mw said...

my comment was intented to request that i be included also. so include me.

-jb said...

sorry...it's been a busy week, i'm in.

guinness should not be in a sentence with those other beers tho.

Endurosnob said...

well said, jb.

ButchieCantaloupe said...

I am also wanting to be included in your wager.

Cornbread said...

Done and done (jb and butchie added).

So Guinness tastes different from the others in the list?





Kidding.

3p0 said...

yeah, I can chug guiness faster than any of those other beers...

and faster than anyone reading this...

monkeygirl said...

ok this is totally plaguing me, I am very interested in this, one I commute very often already, and I just put new fenders on the Kona, and two, where are the women, and three, mmmmmm beer. So two questions, am I eligible, and also did we ever get a ruling on beer payment. Is it going to be drinks at yia yias or is it going to be and off sale case. Not like I am planning for failure, just wondering.

Cornbread said...

Regina, you'd be the first woman to join and we'd be more than happy to have ya along for the ride.

Beer payment can be either off sale cans/bottles or beer boughten at any establishment in Lincoln, but I encourage Yia Yia's, Oso, Bricktop or O'Rourkes.

Welcome aboard? Hope so cuz I'm thirsty. Ohhh, the smack talkin' has started. :)

3p0 said...

so who's got the furthest commute?

I've got 10 miles to work, but I think cornbread has me beat with like 11-12...

Cornbread said...

I'm right at 10 miles. Twenty miles a day of commuting...not bad. Great way to wake up in the morning and then unwind in the evening. A lot of America's problems could be solved if more people commuted.

Beerorkid said...

I would prob qualify for the shortest commute. 1.1 miles. but I do ride home for lunch, so that is 4 miles daily. So I t takes me a week to match one day of Corey.

If I ride one part then drive the second I will own up, it would count as driving.

Cornbread said...

Steve, mileage really doesn't matter to me. Just want to get people on bikes and keep 'em out of cars...but since your ride is so short, you should have to ride a unicycle.

monkeygirl said...

ok, this is right up my psychosis I am in, I wanna play.

Cornbread said...

Alright, Regina. You're in!

monkeygirl said...

free beer! nothing tastes better.