Friday, September 02, 2005

Final Hurdle

Well, I had my interview today for UNMC School of Medicine. It went really well, but didn't start off so great. I lost the letter detailing the interview process somewhere at D street. Oops. So I had no idea where the hell to go. I wandered around the campus and eventually found what I thought was the correct building. I must have went in the wrong door cuz I found myself in the basement of the hospital. Luckily a friendly custodian directed me to the ground floor. Eventually I saw a bunch of other stiffs in suits and assumed they were interviewing too. Bingo! I even made it early.

The woman interviewing me was a reserved and very soft spoken Dermotologist. We sat down and she didn't say a word, she just looked at me. Weird. So I went into my story. Who I am, why I want to be a doctor, educational background, vocational experience, my family, working in a steel factory through college, endurance biking, and Old Style. She asked only a few vague questions. I pretty much controlled the whole interview conversation. And that's really all it was...a conversation. Very low stress and a piece of cake.

The financial meeting after the interview was very humbling. Looks like I'll go about 200k in debt. Ouch. Oh well, fuck it.

I'll find out by October 1st.

20 comments:

len said...

200K is nothing. Living with debt is the American way!

Cornbread said...

Geez, lots of spam.

Hey Len! Thanks for stoppin' by! Hope you're havin' fun Texas.

Amen brutha! I've been in debt for 10 years and plan on continuing my debt journey for another 50!

3p0 said...

cornbread, if it's something you want to do,
go for it.

debt, well, doctors make money.
being in dept is a part of going to school.

you make a shit tone of money, jump through the hoops, and bam,

you'll always have your health this way. start off your accounting early with some 401k's a roth ira, and some savings, get school paid off. put your nose to the gridstone,
ride your bike,
and live life.

then come back and be my heart doctor, I've got insurance, I'll help pay for your school..

whaterver you do.
I want you to work on me in the future. don't matter what, I'll come up with the problem.

Cornbread said...

CVO, I'll gladly take care of your lanky ass, but just be sure you're still alive by the time I finish with all my schooling.

Hoss said...

You've already done some good work on my knee! Thanks again~

Jill said...

Way to go Corey! Although I knew you would rock that interview I'm glad to hear that's exactly what you did.

NNs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NNs said...

200k? Pocket change. Did you mension the killer wages you earned working at a bike shop. I bet that was what impressed her. Uhhh, I made a blog. Maybe check it out every once in a while. Let everyone know if you will. I would but I'm not very computer savy. I wish you the best. Keep me posted.

http://nnsinafrica.blogspot.com/

Cornbread said...

Don't worry 2n's. I'll spread the word.

NNs said...

by the way, my blog is sweet. yours sucks asshole. sorry i couldnt get back to lincoln this weekend. ive been fairly busy with last minute stuff and the family. ill write the hotel when i get to zambia. later

BUTCH said...

200K...Man that will be paid off in the first five years of practice. So are you going to move to Omaha or will you commute? If Carp would move back to Lincoln and start a practice you guys could buy ajoining offices and have a Dirt Bag Clinic. Or just use the basement of D-Street. It's pretty sterile right. Good luck buddy hope to see you when we are back visiting in September. I am planning on hitting the Indian Caves race with CVO. Are you going?

Cornbread said...

If you guys are goin'...so am I! We need to do some campin' too!

Dirt Bag Clinic. Now there's the best idea I've heard in a long time!

Tell Katie I said HI!

Not so rotten said...

I'll perform the abortions and hooker stranglings.

Thew said...

My uncle is a radiologist; that automatically qualifies me to be able to read and analyze an X-ray

Cornbread said...

I take a shit twice a day so that automatically qualifies me to be a Proctologist.

BUTCH said...

I bet i can make it as an herbologist

3p0 said...

dude, update your blog

Cornbread said...

Suck a dick.

Not so rotten said...

hooker stranglins and aborions, seriously I've got a razor on a stick.

Cornbread said...

I wonder how long this tired ass thread can go on...